Irregular menstruation is one of the most common menstrual problems. Hormonal imbalance due to stress is often the cause, but if you don't know when menstruation starts, it can also be stressful. Irregular menstruation is mainly treated with hormone drugs, but there are also herbal medicines that are effective for irregular menstruation. In this article, we will introduce herbal medicines that are used for irregular menstruation. In addition, we will explain the causes and characteristics of irregular menstruation. If you want to know the recommended Chinese medicine for irregular menstruation, please read to the end and refer to it.
Find out in this article
- What is irregular menstruation
- Causes of irregular menstruation
- Irregular menstruation in Kampo medicine
- Effective herbal medicine for irregular menstruation
- How to get effective herbal medicine for irregular menstruation
- You can receive a medical interview supervised by a doctor for free on LINE
What is irregular menstruationIrregular menstruation is an irregular menstrual cycle that is longer or shorter than normal. A menstrual cycle counts the number of days from the first day of menstruation to the day before the next menstrual period. A normal menstrual cycle is defined as 25-38 days, with fluctuations of no more than 6 days . Therefore, you may be worried that your menstruation is delayed this month, and your 30-day cycle has changed to a 35-day cycle. On the other hand, menstruation earlier than 25 days is called polymenorrhea, and menstruation after 39 days is called oligomenorrhea. Secondary amenorrhea is defined as cessation of menstruation for more than 3 months, and all of these are irregularities in the menstrual cycle.
Causes of irregular menstruationThe main cause of irregular menstruation is hormonal imbalance caused by stress and sudden diet . The menstrual cycle is controlled by hormones produced by the brain. Therefore, stress and environmental changes disrupt hormone control, preventing ovulation from occurring smoothly and causing irregular menstruation. However, in some cases, the disease is hidden in organs closely related to menstruation, such as the ovaries, uterus, and thyroid gland. Therefore, if you experience irregular menstruation, you should first consult a gynecologist to make sure there is no hidden disease.
Irregular menstruation in Kampo medicine
Irregular menstruation in Kampo medicine is thought to occur when the "qi, blood, and water" that make up the body are not circulating in a well-balanced manner. Irregular menstruation is often caused by hormonal imbalance, but this is an idea in Western medicine, and Kampo medicine has a different way of thinking about causes and treatments for irregular menstruation.
- Qi…life energy. energy and enthusiasm
- Blood…blood and nutrients. Carry moisture and nutrition
- Water: body fluids other than blood
Effective herbal medicine for irregular menstruationIn order to take effective Kampo medicines even with the same irregular menstruation , it is important to select the one that suits each individual by looking at the physical constitution, physical strength, and how symptoms appear . Here are three herbal remedies that are commonly used to treat irregular menstruation.
- Toki shakuyakusan
- Kami Shoyosan
Toki shakuyakusanTokishakuyakusan is a herbal medicine that is effective for menstrual irregularities, sensitivity to cold, and anemia in people with a weak constitution1 ). When the amount of blood is insufficient, it is thought that symptoms such as delayed menstruation, dizziness, and lightheadedness appear. Tokishakuyakusan is said to improve blood circulation in the hands and feet, and is often used for anemia and irregular menstruation, and is one of the three major herbal medicines for gynecology.
KamishoyosanKamishoyosan is a herbal medicine that is often used by people who have hormonal imbalance, get tired easily, and are irritated, and it is effective for irregular menstruation 2). According to traditional Chinese medicine, if the flow of qi is blocked, the blood circulation will be poor and menstruation will be delayed. The state of stress caused by prolonged menstrual cycles is called "hepatic depression". On the other hand, having a short menstrual cycle and getting tired easily is called “Kikyo”. In addition to irregular menstruation, Kamishoyosan is often used when irritability and fatigue are observed.
Keishibukuryogan is used for menstrual irregularities, hot flashes, coldness of the lower body, menstrual pain, etc. for people with strong physiques 3). It is thought that menstruation is delayed in the constitution of "blood cold" where the blood flow is stagnant and the hands and feet are cold. In addition to cold hands and feet, it is said that the lack of nutrition to the skin affects skin problems. Keishibukuryogan is a herbal medicine that relieves irregular menstruation, coldness, hot flashes, and menstrual pain by improving stagnant blood flow.
Also read the following articles: What are the effects of Keishibukuryogan?
How to get effective herbal medicine for irregular menstruationHerbal medicines can be obtained in the following ways:
- Buy at a drugstore
- Purchase at Chinese medicine pharmacy
- Purchase at Kampo Online Shop
- Prescription of herbal medicine at the hospital
See a doctor and get a prescription
It is a method of visiting a hospital and having a doctor prescribe a medical herbal medicine. The advantage of visiting a hospital is that you can receive treatments other than Chinese herbal medicine and detailed examinations. In some cases, irregular menstruation is hidden due to a disease, and it is difficult to improve without treatment with hormones. In particular, those who have not menstruated for more than 3 months are recommended to see a doctor.
You can receive a medical interview supervised by a doctor for free on LINE
"I'm busy, but I want to buy herbal medicine that suits me!" Some online shops have a service that allows you to register on LINE to receive an interview supervised by a doctor and consult with a pharmacist. By consulting, you can easily purchase custom-made herbal medicine that suits you from home.
▼ You can consult Kampo on LINE
Click here for a free consultation supervised by a doctor
In this article, I explained the characteristics and causes of irregular menstruation, as well as effective herbal medicines. The points are the following four points.
- Irregular menstruation is an abnormal menstrual cycle that is longer or shorter than the normal menstrual cycle (25-38 days, with fluctuations of less than 6 days).
- In Kampo medicine, it is believed that irregular menstruation occurs due to poor circulation of Qi, blood, and water.
- It is important to choose a Kampo medicine that suits each individual, such as constitution, physical strength, and symptoms.
- In order to obtain effective Kampo, it is recommended to receive a prescription from a doctor or consult a pharmacist before purchasing.
1) Tsumura Co., Ltd. Tokishakuyakusan extract granules (for medical use), 2014 https://www.info.pmda.go.jp/go/pack/5200111D1076_1_11/
2) Tsumura Co., Ltd. Kamishoyosan extract granules (for medical use) 2018 https://www.info.pmda.go.jp/go/pack/5200017D1083_1_12/
3) Tsumura Co., Ltd. Keishibukuryogan extract granules (for medical use) 2007 https://www.info.pmda.go.jp/go/pack/5200038D1093_1_11/